First the size - rectangle
Given that information, helpful, I know, I had to figure out what finished size I wanted. I made a paper model so that I would get the end result I desired. I ended up with a length of 13" and a width of 10". Size includes a 1/2" seam allowance.
As usual all of the prospective materials were rounded up.
The fabric I wanted to use for the outside of the bag is a directional linen. I have 3 color choices of the same linen fabric. I fell in love with it and over the past year I have found it three times, each time in a different color combination. The fabric is Yuwa Live Life Collection Premium and is made in Japan. I own each of the three in 1/2 meter cuts. The lining is a cotton fabric covered with French writing. It is "Paris Tea" by Holly Holderman for Lakehousedrygoods.com number LH10048. The laces are not vintage, I bought them last year and they are cotton.
Due to the directional linen, to make the bag work, I would have to seam the center bottom of the bag that way, the writing would be right side up on both sides of the bag.
Assembly was relatively easy. The backing, batting and top were spray adhesived together. The zipper was sewn on to each end of the shorter length. The top of the zipper flush with the side (length) seam, and the long end of the zipper allowed to hang off the end.
Top stitching was done to hold the lining and seam allowance in place and not get in the way of the zipper..
Before sewing the side seams, the lace next to the zip opening was added. I like to use my Bernina #10 Edge stitch foot (love this foot). The needle position was moved to one side and a small zigzag was selected. The middle guide of the foot while sewing rides right up next to the fabric and the lace was placed up against the guide as sewing was done. What comes out is beautifully applied lace right up against the edge of the fabric.
The bag was then folded so that the zipper was centered as shown. The little pull tabs added, centered on the zipper and the side seams sewn. I used a 3 1/2 inch piece of lace folded in half for the tab.
To get the box effect, a 1 1/2" triangle was sewn in each corner. The Triangles were trimmed. All the inside seams were finished with a zigzag stitch.
From the outside of the bag:
A peak into the inside:
I am pleased with the results and I am glad I took the time to get the fabric placement correct.
I’ll be linking up with this great party:
Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo