Thursday, April 27, 2017

A New Sewing Room

Busy, busy, busy. 

Last year it was a remodel to the kitchen and laundry room. This year it is taking over the living/dining room combination and making it a sewing room. I should have done this years ago. We never used the room as it was painted a strange sort of dusty pink color and it was dark. The tree in the front of the house made it so very little light came in through the 3 windows.

The remodel began with the trimming of the tree in the front yard. The tree is 40 years old and had grown to having several branches that hung over the house. Not good in a storm. After the tree was professionally trimmed, two solar lights were installed to help bring light into the room.

This is as far as I got last year.

This year the room was emptied out and painting began. Bulking the color grey that everyone seems to be painting walls these days, a light green was chosen. I liked the one called "Positive Energy".

The old paint was a semi-gloss which from experience is hard to cover. I painted the hallway last year and it needed to be primed so that the color would not try to sneak through.
So here are some before pictures:
Here is the side closest to the kitchen.

The second side of the room. Notice the air intake that needs to be taken into account.

Here is the 3rd and 4th side of the room. The  4th side is mostly an opening to the entryway for the front door. We have never used the front door. The original furnace from 1968 was replaced 10 years ago, but before it was replaced it had left soot marks on the walls all over the house. Most walls in the house had been been cleaned and repainted, but this room remained original.

After scrubbing the walls here is the change a little bit of paint can make:

Here is the same view after painting:

Here is the first picture completed and some furniture added. I decided to use Kallax from IKEA. We have and IKEA in town and this furniture line makes for a nice work space.
I have left the bottom shelves open where the vent is to make sure I have good air flow. Then I turned my sights on to the window side. 

Plantation shutters were installed and I found a rug on line that matched the wall perfectly. I put wheels on the bottom of my work table shelves so that it could float in the room. Incidentally it is now the perfect height for a work table. The table top is  IKEA Bekant size 63"x31 1/2". Between the shelves and the table top are clear rubber bumpers. The bumpers hold the table top in place very nicely.

I am busy populating the room with all my sewing treasures and also sorting out the basement of all of my packed away sewing room. More on that later. Unfortunately all of this work has left me with very little time to sew.